Sunday, 24 February 2013

One Week Until Install

I install my show at the Anna Leonowens Gallery in one week (therefore this is going to be a short post).  I am doing better than I thought I would be at this stage in the game.  I have only had one complete meltdown and that was over my printer refusing to work last night.  All things considered I think that is pretty good. 

I have had an incredibly productive week!  That is likely the reason that I am not falling apart at the seams with stress.  I gold plated a few pieces yesterday, and here is a little preview.... 


The milkweed seed earrings are multiplying at an incredible rate.  I will have 24 pairs for my show.  I am probably the most excited to see these guys installed, especially since I now know how I am going to install them. 



The lotus pods have given me more grief than I really want to express right now.  They are turning out well but there have been many roadblocks and several extra steps along the way that should not have been necessary.  At least now when I have to make more of them (because I have to make more of them) I have most of that troubleshooting out of the way and and I can just make them without a fuss. 


There has been a lot of progress on this piece in the last few days (it all depends on how much I love or hate the two things that are in the e-bath right now) These glass elements are for a piece that I desperately hope will be done for the show. Everything is a matter of priorities right now, or at least that's what I keep telling myself about the pile of dishes in my kitchen... 


Oh and on top of everything else that is going on, I still have other classes.  Thankfully this week was "break week" at school.  I was still at school every day but I didn't have any of those pesky classes getting in the way.   I posted lots of progress shots of these in my last update and here they are all finished! 


These are some of the colour tests I did for the above piece but it also references what I want to work on for the next project in enamelling.  I have been slightly obsessed with quilts lately (despite my inability to use a sewing machine) so since our next project is based on components that is what I am using as my inspiration! 



The next post will be a big one, with lots of pictures of my show... stay tuned! 

Wednesday, 13 February 2013

Busy February


I sort of wish I could just post a bunch of pictures and run away from this post.  I am surprised I can form complete sentences at this point (Midterm = No Sleep).  So this will be a little stingy on the writing side, but there will be plenty of pictures!


First I have made lots of progress on my milkweed seeds, I am getting exactly the look that I want.  Now I just have to make a bunch of them, which I thankfully have all the components for.  I am very much hoping to get them done by the end of the weekend. 



I have also made a fair amount of progress on the lotus pods.  I have made a lot of silly mistakes in the process of these guys, it's slowly coming together. 


Enamelling and I have been on shaky terms this week.  I am not entirely sure if we are friends right now.... Right now we are working on a collaboration project.  First we had to make something, then it was handed to someone else to change, and then again to someone else before finally coming back to the original artist.  This is how mine started: 



I don't have pictures of what happened to it in the process, but our instructor Lillian told us that once we got our piece back we could respond to it however we liked, even if that meant making a new piece (as long as said piece was informed by what we learned).  I decided to make earrings because I liked the smaller scale and I also wanted the challenge of trying to make two that matched. 


One enamelled.... 

  
The back:


Both enamelled (and finally not cracking) and ready for the e-bath. 



I was playing with some colours a few weeks back in terms of the growth work.  I thought I liked where these were going, but the opaques just weren't cutting it. 



a test with the mushroom too:


I did decide that I did still want to enamel them, but just not with the colourful opaques.  I used some flux (fancy enamel talk for clear), that brings the colour of the copper through, but still allows you to see the depth of the little beakies. 


I am applying for a call for entry with these pieces so I even took a fancy picture of them too.